Saturday, January 30, 2010

Cotonou Tries

The Cotonou skyline is nonexistent, the city being simply a series of concrete buildings carpeting the beach along the bight of Benin. And yet, I still felt like a farm boy in times square as I look for a zem to the bureau. What a difference living at post will do to one's view of modern conveniences like traffic lights and other new fangled contraptions like running water is quite impressive.
My first trip to the nation's economic nerve center since training. Pizza, internet, movies, all things to be had in this city and to confuse me with their exotic nature. To further complicate matters, the novelty of my being white/foreign/American does not quite exist in this more cosmopolitan center of commerce, where I've become just another face in the crowd. The brief weekend respite from the countryside, while fun, also serves to get me excited to return to "normalacy" back in Aklampa. What need have I for hot water when I have my trusty bucket back home? Who needs to watch "Desperate Housewives" when I have th drama of an adolescent puppy to entertain me (Quite large now, how fast they grow!)? Besides, the new semester has gotten underway and my kids must hit the books. Like all good things, city life is good in moderation here in Benin. The sprawling sore that is African urbanity is better left sequestered down south, to be visited once in a blue moon and only with the intention of a brief stay. In short, Aklampa edges out Cotonou in terms of quality of life, at least community wise. The Mahis up north are more relaxed than their Fon brothers down in the south, and appreciate a salutation more as well. So thanks Cotonou for trying, but I choose you Aklampa.

6 comments:

  1. Ditto Cuz! I too have always preferred the countryside as to the hustle and bustle of urban life. As far back as college and grad school, I chose to avoid the urban sprawl of Cape Girardeau and found a small concrete block house, out of town and in the woods. Being able to withdraw to a place to rejuvenate one’s soul is a good thing. However, I do have my limits and hot running water would appear on that list, but buckets do not scare me away.
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep - I get that - "I choose Aklampa" (except for the bucket part). Hence the importance of my "Rain Forest" out back here at home. When the weather warms I will have the first s'more in your honor and second one for your pooch!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it is March 1st and no word. You must be very busy getting the new semester off to a positive start, but just a few words from Aklampa would be nice. I thought by now you would have the King in your hip pocket and him sold on the advantages of bringing the internet to his village. But I do suppose the work of the Peace Corp is never ending, maybe my project of internet access is to be scheduled at a later date and by another group of volunteers.
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I see you have not been to the local internet cafe as yet in your travels. So much has happened since our last talk. The Ides of March, St. Patty's Day and the Lenten Season has come and gone. This is the week end of the famous Easter Egg Hunt marking the true begining of spring. Now I must say the real reason for the season is not "The Hunt" after all GG, Aunt Ava and Aunt Mildred would throw a lighten bolt up my butt if I do not say the death and reserection of Christ is to give our souls a new begining. Now let's talk basketball Brenda,Beth,Rick and Mary are all recovering from the losses of Kentuckey, Kansas and Xaiver, but if you were her the Mock's would be in complete turmoil as both Michigan State and Butler are in the final four. Which places me in a horrible place as who to root for. I suppose I will have to take your place and go for Micigan State Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is me again and I am here to correct my faux pas, I will be rooting for Butler not Michigan State. And by the way HAPPY BIRTHDAY just a little late.
    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete