Saturday, August 29, 2009

Porto-Brovo

Maman generally clou clous (knock knocks) on my door around six o'clock. While this may sound a bit spartan it really isn't that bad considering that I generally hit the hey around nine o'clock. On a good day I'll manage to get a run in before my bucket shower. Early in the morning is much easier on the lungs I find as running at any other time would be tantamout to smoking a pack whilst jogging, not something coach recommended to me back in the day. I usually am able to get a high-five out of a man who hangs around the gare on my run and at least a few runner's waves from fellow high-speed pedestrians along the way.
After returning from one of my routes I'll partake of the bucket shower. This is really fun as it involves me dumping cold water on myself, and yes I am serious. Cold water is a great way to wake one's self up and after a quick yelp of shock the water is fine anyway. Breakfast is usually a fried omelette, bread, and a cup of café instantanée. While I do love the omelettes every morning, by my eating them I generally negate my early morning exercise, but no matter, a guy has to eat.
The streets are a bit more hectic as I bike to school, but nothing unmanageable. School is school and I'll spare the nitty-gritty. Suffice it to say that I'm learning a lot and yet have much more to learn. Model school has started meaning we get to sharpen our teaching skills on real live youngins'.
For lunch we generally choose between an avocado sandwhich, spicy bean sandwhich, eggs, fish heads, beans, rice, or spaghetti. I generally pick a combo of the afformentioned Beninese food groups, one I generally stay away from, I leave which one to your imagination.
After school we might hang out at the cyber or the buvette or both in no particular order. Back at home I'll hang out with the fam, mange some food, and watch dubbed Spanish soap-operas. They're pretty great, the soap-operas that is, due to their extreme stereotypical plot lines and organ music, someone better win an award for "Destins Du Couer", my personal favorite. I'll generally top the night off with some reading or lesson planning and then wake up and do it all over again with a few quirks and deviations from the norm (I've left said quirks and deviations out of my description).

4 comments:

  1. I am a friend of your mom's and have been following your postings...fascinating!!! You're a gifted writer...what a fabulous experience you are having. Thank you for the great read..:-)
    Joan

    ReplyDelete
  2. A "high-five" from this end of the world for all you are accomplishing (bucket showers and all!)

    What a gift you will be to the "real live youngins'". I am so proud of you. TJM

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one fabulous experience in your life. I got the address of this blog today from Terrye, and I am impressed. Best luck, learn and enjoy every moment of your precious time with the Peace Corps.
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, what I really want to know is - did the fish eyes taste "just like chicken"?? I thought I'd ask you first before I try them myself. I'm still SO! jealous. Aunt Deb

    ReplyDelete