Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Zemis

Before I get started on this post I would like to point out that the keyboard I am using is somewhat different. I cannot find the coma or apostrophe button so I guess contractions are out of the question as are fancy sounding sentences. That being said I shall start the show:
Zemijohns. While the name sounds pleasant enough, even humourous do not let that fool you. These are the business savy entrepreneurs of urban Benin and they know a good business opportunity when they see one e.g. me and other naive foreigners. I knew this when leaving the buvette late one night with my friends but not as well as I now know it.
It had been a plesant night at the club. Aside from the expected pick pocket attempt, no harm no foul bro, everything was great. As we left however this situation began to change. We were six strong at this point and four of us were heading out. We managed to discouter the price down from eight hundred to two hundred after switching drivers a few times, much to the chagrin of our erstwhile operators. To the angry shouts of gilted zemejohn drivers we made our way through the desolate streets of Porto Novo.
The city is so different at night. Bustling markets collapse into quiet streets with the omnipresent black plastic bags, the tumbleweed of Benin, flying through the air. There is a bit of a taboo about the night here. It is a domain for the vodun and egu spirits and priests and young initiates are generally the only ones out, there drums and shouts I often here from my bedroom.
We passed a few police blockades with stoic guards clad in fatigues holding submachine guns, these types are only slightly less intimidating than the vodun fetishists. At our final destination the drivers wanted more francs. While it was dark we were not budging, sorry guys, the price was agreed to. With that we walked away, making sure to securely close the gate behind us. With luck the drivers next stop will be for the vodun types, Karma west African style.
Flush from adrenaline, we turned in for the night. Exciting zemijohn experience has been checked off of the list, and I do not plan on revisiting it.

3 comments:

  1. "Karma west African style", I like that, TIA huh?

    The key boards were funky in France too, for one thing the "y" and "z" were switched, had some trouble with that!

    bon travail avec les Zemis mon frere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brightens my day to read a new entry!

    Besides experience - history is a great teacher. Here you go my history buff:

    "Among the many discoveries of Captain James Cook was a linguistic one, the term taboo. In a journal entry from 1777, Cook says this word "has a very comprehensive meaning; but, in general, signifies that a thing is forbidden...."

    Here's hoping everything doesn't have to be checked off the list! TJM

    ReplyDelete
  3. here here! Bitte, shauen sie aus, mein Freund. Ich wuensche dich einmal zu sehen. (watch out my friend. I wish to see you again!)

    ReplyDelete