Friday, October 23, 2009

One Month

Aklampa, like most things in Benin, is hard to describe. In the middle of the country and straddling the split in the national highway (highway equals paved road), the super-village acts like a coin spiral donation thingie (is that what they're called?) found at museums and the like, sucking in the produce from Benin's bread-basket and then sending it out to the rest of the country.
One month down here and I've managed to find internet access in the nearest town on the gadron(highway), Glazoué. School has commenced, slowly but surely, and I'm becoming quite acclimated to the laid-back attitude of my fellow collegues, who act more like the cast from "Saved By The Bell" than like American teachers.
To give a brief recap of my adventures thus far in the shining citadel of Beninese academia I'll start with the "first" week of school. This consisted of the teachers hanging out whilst the soon-to-be students hacked and weeded their way through the overgrown savannah that is CEG Aklampa.
After the first week "netoyage" school could begin to take flight and thus far I am thoroughly enjoying it. Highlights so far include name tag making, roaring like a lion to demonstrate what a lion is, and kicking a few neer-do-wells out of class, that oughta teach 'em! I rule with an iron fist! Not really, but I've managed a pretty good classroom thus far.
The village itself has been just as welcoming and it never gets old to simply walk around outside to saluier the neighbors and make new friends, who are fast dissappearing due to my prodigious canvassing. My place still lacks some basic amenities like a bed and a table and right now resembes an austere college room. That being said it has major potential and I've already commissioned the carpenter to go to town, so to speak, ou bien, go to village.
Food, while delicious, can become monotonous and a bit trying on the intestines but I would still rank it as good, as of right now that is. In Benin, when sampling new foods, I find it better to simply put it in and swallow before asking questions, this circumvents the brain's pesky warning flags and generally makes food more digestable, at least on the surface. The favourites so far in terms of food are 1) mashed yam, 2) tapioca with lots of sugar, and 3) yam fries. The fruit is also delicious, especially pineapple. Papaya, while tasty, has some later side effects that are for the most part worth avoiding.
A bike ride around the terre rouge surrounding the village is fast becoming my favourite pastime. The sacrée forét with a giant tree residing in the middle like a king in his court supplies a much needed burst of fresh forest air that cools the body as well as the soul. Also, if ever I'm in need of a moment to reflect and get a "wow" out, the vistas along the road do just the trick. "Bon arrivée" or "kwabo", the farmers will shout, and I'll simply nod with a silly grin on my face.

4 comments:

  1. Love it. Yam fries are so good. It's tough to surpress my laughter when picturing you roaring like a lion in front of a large group of African children also.

    Glad you are settled in, Aklampa sounds like quite an adventure!

    :] slkeeicloexoe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you are finding your niche within the classroom and village. I am certain your students will become quite fond of you and your creative nature. TJM

    ReplyDelete
  3. As an aspiring physician, it tickles me to hear about food side effects.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate to the simple nod and silly grin but I usually resort to those saluations at the most boring of cocktail parties, not at such of WOW moment of vista viewing.

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete