Saturday, September 26, 2009

Du Courage!

"So help me God", these are the last words of the Peace Corps oath, an oath that fifty of us took yesterday morning in Cotonou. What help?, one might ask, and I suppose only God knows the answer to that as well. Either way it is a chest full of fresh air to finally be in Benin as a Volunteer. That is correct, stage is officially over, meaning that today is my first as an official Peace Corps Volunteer, my boss is that disgruntled lot of Americans known as "taxpayers" (thanks guys).
Whats next then, eh? Well, for starters, all of my metaphorical roads lead to Aklampa, my Royaume nestled in the collines of the aptly named départément, Collines (akin to naming Michigan Hand-shaped, how quaint!). Departure time for tomorrow morning is eight-o'clock local time, meaning we should be on the road by ten and with luck, in Aklampa before sundown.
As much of stage was a hassle, it has certainly been a much needed hassle as I've learned so much in the past nine weeks. What is more, I'm sure I'll miss the structure of stage (and I'm being generous with the usage of structure here) once I get to post and will undoubtedly be left to my own devices, Aklampa look out!
As we all scatter to the four corners of Benin it'll be bitter-sweet to part with new friends. After all, parting is such sweet sorrow. The first three months at post are known as lock-down as the Volunteer is not allowed to leave his\her post for anything other than "bank trips". Bien intégre is the goal here and I look forward to the afforementioned task whole-heartedly. As Aklampa lacks electricity this will be a bit of a "Peace Corps Dark" time for me, meaning I'll not be very connected to the rest of global society, yet another aspect that has my Id grinning with delight.
Porto-Novo has been a great host for me during the past nine weeks and while I won't miss the pollution or the honking I'm sure to miss my host family who has been nothing if not kind and welcoming to me. The hot season is just kicking off here and I can't help but extract some symbolic meaning from this. As the season warms up, we as Volunteers are finally warmed up. Our bodies and minds somewhat attuned for life in Benin and ready for our service. I'm sure a more eloquent person could come up with something better, but that will have to suffice for now. The umpire has shouted "play ball!" and we're taking the field. Du courage!

5 comments:

  1. I am busting my buttons proud of you! Safe journey to your kingdom. I love you. TJM

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The real benefit in a voyage of discovery is not new landscape, but new eyes." Do not know who to give credit for this quote, but I think it applies to you as you see the beauty of the world in a different way. God Bless. Love,
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be safe and upon your arrival, at a time you can choose best, you may want to share with the King that you too are of "Blue Blood Ancestry" I believe that statement of fact is from your Great Great Aunt Alvie or your Great Great Aunt Vedie. Will be hoping for many Banking trips and hopfully internet trips in the next few months. Until then--Happy Trails to you.

    Jeanie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This posting is from Aunt Dee. I have just read you entire blog and it makes my heart swell with love to see that you have grown into such an intelligent young man.

    Aunt Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oye! Good to see some blog-tastic proof that you are alive and kicking, per usual, and that the African sun hasn't turned you into a crispy potato chip yet. I just sent you some reading material, which you will have read 20sec ago or will read in 20sec. Consider that fair warning.

    Marcel Proust. That's who can be credited with the aforementioned quote (not that you'd need any help figuring that out). Before I sweep you off your feet with my knowledge of notable quotes from notable francophones, I only know that because you yourself passed along that little nugget to me while I was out traipsing around the big bad world.

    Study break: over. I'm reading a case about a woman who thought she could fly because "Batman does it." I thought you'd like that.

    Read your email. Write me back. Yes, you. Yes, now.

    ReplyDelete