Monday, July 27, 2009

Yovos On Parade

Greetings from the land of friendly people, Benin. It feels amazing to finally be in Africa and I'm trying to soak up everything around me. The flight here was long but pretty fun. Also, I hope my scattered brain can be forgiven as I feel like I've been given new eyes here.
I went to church yesterday and had quite the experience. While it was Catholic I don't think that was the main obstacle to my understanding of the operaton of the service. If you think French is tough (and I do) then do not go to a catholic service where Fon and French are preached. Not only preached mind you, but mingled into an indescernable jumble of words, beautiful jumble, but jumble nonetheless.
The novelty of white people was quite the experience for the worshippers there and the preacher managed to work us into his sermon as we were asked to stand and given a round of applause (the woman next to me actually had to tell me to stand, yes my French/Fon is that good). I was also able to shutup a crying baby, as my sight caused his crying to turn into a curious gaze worthy of a Hallmark card. Oh, and they have good music here, who would've thought? In all seriousness, I absolutely loved the music and dancing. I have no doubt that church turnout would be much higher in the states if you took a cue from Africa and got down in the name of God. Praise Him!
Also, everyone will be happy to know that I was able to run this morning. While my lungs may regret it, my legs sure don't. It felt good to stretch out my stride on African soil, and I also enjoyed the stares and shouts of "Yovo!" from the peanut gallery (Yovo=foreigner).
More to come very soon from my new home. I love everyone here thus far and the excitement and commitment is extremely palpable, I like it! Bonne Chance et Du Courage!

2 comments:

  1. vous pouvez faire une difference -
    Très fier de vous
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. just loved reading about the church experience :-) African music is really something to experience... thinking of you often..

    ReplyDelete